Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Travellers cheques
429 Posts
JAC123,

Try a high street bureau de change, eg bank, tour operator. You shouldn't have any problems getting sterling travellers cheques.

Darren
Hi all, I've read that its better to take English pounds over to Marmaris and exchange it there
but does any one know what you get there now as the rate here is about 2.28 ? Thanks!!

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
hi, we are going to club julian for 2 weeks in september. could anyone tell me what exchange rate is at the moment in turkey so that we have an idea wether to change our money here or over there. usually we take about £50 in holiday currency and change as we need it but dont know wether to do this again. also where is the best place to change money? thanks

Merged with existig topic. Dazbo HT Mod
Hi
can anyone tell me what rate you are geting for the euro in gumbet at the moment we arrive saturday and would just like to get some idea of what rate we can expect to get
Thanks
sandra
Sandra, sorry i can't tell you what the exchange rate is for the euro but the best rate i could find for the £ was 2.30 in China Town restaurant, everywhere else seemed to be giving 2.20....
i've just got 2.25 from Tesco today - M&S were only offering 2.19!
I know a lot of people have probably asked this a thousand times before, but in a couple weeks, it's my first time going to Turkey (Marmaris) and it's also my first time going self catering for a fair few years.

I know how much I'm taking but I'm just wondering how I should take my money. Like, do I change it all over here and take lira. Do I use the ATM's or do I change sterling over there.

Advice please for a VERY excited Turkey virgin :D
personally speaking i take english currency with me and then exchange it there x

you can use atm's over there, not a problem at all, but beware of bank charges and what exchange rates they give you, you could end up spending more than you anticipated.

i find the best exchange rate is actually in turkey which is why i get cash

also, not to be a scaremonger or anything, i think its just me being too overcautious, but i'd be worried in case anything happened to my card! what if it gets swallowed up by a machine then you got no money!!!!

x
Thanks for the tips.

I agree with the atm's though, worst nightmare! Being stuck with no money!
Hi all,

we have about 80 YTL left over from our last holiday to Turkey a couple of years ago. Having just got some YTL for our upcoming holiday, we have noticed that some of the notes have changed from a couple of years - it seems that the 20, 10 and 5 YTL have changed slightly.

Can anyone tell me if the notes I still have from 2 years ago are still accepted in Turkey or will they be refused?

Many thanks.
The Yeni Turkish Lira are no longer legal tender, the new notes are just Turkish lira.

However you can exchange your YTL at any Ziraat Bank.
I know this has prob been asked before, but am I best taking sterling and where are the best places to change it or should I use cash passport or just withdraw sterling from ATM we are with HSBC here in England
i am going to turkey in 3 weeks usually take sterling but have been reading reports and people have had their money stolen from safe in room!! and passports so i am thinking of taking a pre paid card as i have never done this before please can someone tell me where to get one of these from and do you have to pay commision when using them??
hey,not that i can help with info on pre paid cards but i have to say in the past 6 years of holidaying in turkey i have always used safety deposit boxes and never had any money stolen-the reception keep the master key and you are given the box key and to open the safe the 2 keys must be used-your one that you keep with you and the master one from reception so i cant see how they could gain access to steal!? also, the safes are usually located roundabout the reception area not in apts/rooms therefore surely someone would see if money was stole and report them!just a thought anyway lol!enjoy your hol x
Hi there, can anyone please advise me what the best currency is to take to Turkey. I have been told that Sterling is welcomed but should I also take Lira and should it be cash or travellers cheques?Thanks :tup
Take a little lira and the either take the rest in Sterling and exchange over there to get a better rate, or use the ATMs to withdraw lira. You can use to sterling to pay for trips and for buying bigger items of shopping and you can get a better deal that way. Don't bother with travellers cheques as they can be difficult to cash.
I don't like carrying a lot of cash when going abroad and have both the Santander Zero debit and credit cards to get the best rates and no charges when using ATM's or paying in shops. I see, however, that a lot of trips, car hire etc quote in Sterling. What happens if I don't have Sterling? Will they debit my card with the exact Sterling price or do they convert it into a (higher) TL amount which will turn out more expensive when I get my statement? And what if I pay cash? Do they take TL and if so what rate do they use? Also I see that some ATM's will give you Sterling. Is there a charge for that?
Read an article today in the paper that the nationwide flexi debit cards are introducing a fee for use abroad from november
Hi we went to turkey last year and my husband says that the turkish people prefer euro's, as every thing in the markets was priced up in euro's,we just took £50 in turkish lira and the rest in sterling last year,but this year we r thinking £50 again in turkish lira and some in euros and rest in sterling,what would we be better off in taking, any suggestions please, thanks. :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.