Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Hi There, We coverd this in an earlier thread but one tip i gave was to buy 20 of the cheapest spanish brands to try them. Then when you find one that suits get your quota. We found a brand called Palace in red and white packs that were as good as british brands and half the price. There were some not so good ones to avoid like ducados but like with the food abroad you dont know until you try a bit :lol:
:D Hi there JPS blacks are 15euro's
Hi all
read in a sunday paper yesterday that cigs are to go up by 5% in spain (goverment forced) to help pay for heath care. dont know when exactly but get em while you can.

Suke
Hi all as of last Tuesday (13/09) Silk cut cost 27euros - £18
Lambert & Butler had gone up on the Monday by 50c from 26euros to 26.50.
I normally smoke the L&B ultra lights, but cant find them in Magaluf so bought Silk Cut silver.
I found L&M to be very similar to Lamberts Silver and paid €23 in August
Does any one know roughly what a carton (200) of cigs weigh. I intend noting our luggage weight on the way out then estimating how many cartons of cigs I can carry with any surplus weight allowance we have.

Robert
Hi Bigred,

If you can hang on till Tuesday I'll weigh them when we get home.

jancan
Thanks Jancan we usually travel in July / August and travel light as shorts are the norm at night. But we are going on the 1st October for 2 weeks and are bringing more clothes and ong trousers for night etc. We usually bring 30 cartons home but have to be careful this year due to extra weight of clothes.
Are you on hols now and if so were and what is the weather like.

Robert.
Just landed back this afternoon, weather was sunny and warm when we left. Yesterday, thunderstorm pm, rained for a couple of hours. It's t shirt and shorts weather anyway.

Back to the cigs, the weight in grams is variable depending on make and whether they are in cartons or just wrapped. Can help you with 4 makes only to give you some idea. this is for a carton of 200

Dorchester 320g
Silk cut 275g
Bensons 281g
jps ( cheapo ones, not the regular ones's) 250g

Will post price list in a moment.

jancan
Here are the up to date prices for 200 cigs from the Tabacos shops dotted around Magalluf/ Palma Nova in Euros.

Dorchester superkings 15
Lambert & Butler( all strengths) 26.50
Embassy No 1 27.50
Bensons 27
Silkcut ( all strengths) 27
Sovereign 15
Palace 16.50
Fortuna 21.50
John player superkings 27.50
Mayfair 24.50
Berkeley 27
Marlboro 27.50
Richmond 24
Regal 21.50
Royals 21.50
Diana ( english blend) 20
Lucky strike 24
West 20
Kenistas club 27
L&M 22
JPS black, red, white ( white are mild) american blend, 15
Golden Viginia tobacco 500gram 38
Golden virginia tobacco 250 gram 19 ( not available in all the tabacos shops, one just into Palma Nova had it).

Main brands in the airport were around 30-31 euros for 200. Not a lot of choice in there and none of the really cheap ones either.

Hope this helps for people deciding on how much money to allow.

jancan
Something i forgot to mention was that golden virginia tobacco was 49.50 for 500gram in the airport, as opposed to 38 in resort.

Bells whiskey ( 1 litre) was anywhere between 10.20-12.95e in resort and was on offer with 20% off at 13e in duty free ( normally 15e)

Grants was on offer at 2 litres for 21.10e in duty free.

jancan
Thanks for all the info Jancan. We should be able to get our 30 cartons ok as they should only weigh around 8kg.
Where were you syaying in the resort ?

Robert
Stayed at the Sol Magalluf park hotel.

jancan
Hi all, we are popping over to palmanove beginning of dec for a short break. Does anyone know if the tabac shops are open all year. Thanks for any info. x
:D Hi

Yes there are all open we go in December for my sister in laws birthday have a great time were are you staying?
:D Hi forgot to mention in Palma Airport right at the end there is a Tabco shop what sell the ciggarettes the same price as you get them in resort and cigars.

Not a lot of people know its there we just found it by chance when my grandson needed the toliet once.

Just walk past duty free shop right to the end and its there.

Hope this helps :D
Hi Jancan
Thanks for the info on the cig prices, We were in Magaluf the first 2 weeks in October and the cig shops were doing a roaring trade, on Monday mornings there were people lined up outside waiting for the shops to open.
We ended up buying the John Player Black. a real snip at 15 euro a carton. A lot of people now seem to be on the ciggy runs, buying cheap abroad abroad then selling for a profit in the UK. I suppose it pays for a good portion of thier holiday costs.
A warning about buying to much booze. A lot of people on our flight were charged excess baggage allowance because they were loaded up with to much booze. I f you only want a few bottles buy it in the airport after you check in. You can then carry it on the plane as hand luggage with no record of its weight.

Robert.
Sovereign were the cheapest when we were in Majorca in October 15 Euros for 200.

Just smoked the last of mine, need to go back and stock up :lol:
Hi, Thanks for all your help about cig prices & shop opening times. We are staying at the Son matias for a few days, booked with tomsons accomodation only - £39.00 per room for 3 nights - I had to keep checking that I'd got it right - sooo cheap! We go to palmanova at least twice a year for a holiday & this is basically to have a cheap break before christmas & get a few more cigs & drinks!! Gonna be a bit chilly but hey who cares, the bar in hotel will be open & they have great entertainment every night. Looking forward to it. x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.