38 independent reviews of the Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel
Address: Av del Arquitecto Gómez Cuesta, 14, 38660 Arona, Spain
Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel
Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel Location
Ranked #34 of 80 hotels in Playa de las Americas

Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel is rated 3.71 out of 5 from 38 Reviews

Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel Reviews

"Dreadfully room"
E mitchell had a holiday at Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel, Playa de las Americas, Spain in February 2014
Recently spent time set this hotel my room was full of ants and I mean hundreds . Complained twice all they did was sent housekeeping maid with a spray. Ok 1st but we were still plagued with them until the day we left don't go in room 315.bathroom was very small. There were not enough tables in the dinning room for the amount of guests staying so it was more like a canteen. Constant movement didn't,t feel you could sit and relax to enjoy your meal. Definitely would not return to this hotel

Tour Operator: Thomas cook

Recommended: No

louise had a holiday at Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel in January 2010
I stayed at this hotel this year with my two children and couldnt wait to go home.the hotel should be rated a 2star and not a 3 star for starters.Our room was spacious but not very clean,there was alot of dust in the room and the bathroom was grubby,the tiles had scum on them especially around the toilet and bath.The cleaners if thats what you call them only made the beds,they were never changed for the duration of our stay which was for a week.we got back to our room one night to discover cockroaches in the bathroom I reported this to reception who said they would send someone up to deal with it,they never came so I dealt with them myself.I have never stayed at a hotel where staff have been very rude and argumentative and shouted at guests,especially ...
the staff on reception,when I had to keep going down asking for clean towels as the cleaners did take the dirty ones away,but never replaced them.The food was terrible,it tasted blande and was just warm,and didnt look fresh.After the second day of eating hotel food and getting upset tummies we decided to eat out for the rest of the holiday.I know because it is a hot country cockroaches are very commonly seen,but I have never seen them in hotels,I have stayed at a few in the same area as this hotel and they were never a problem because decent hotels fumagate there property regulary to avoid such problems,because I have seen staff do it,but not at this hotel.Never again would I stay at or recommend this hotel to anyone.It was a nightmare of a holiday,couldnt wait to get home and recover.

Tour Operator: low cost holidays

vickers stayed at Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel in February 2009
Had thought about staying at the Oro Negro for a few years and was put off by reports of it being in a dodgy area. However, wish i\'d ignored all bad reports and gone sooner! The public areas, pool (though the pool area could be a bit prettier, it seems a bit functional - a bit of landscaping wouldn\'t go amiss)and bedrooms were beautifully clean, the food varied, well cooked and presented. Location fine for us as we walk everywhere but could imagine might be a bit far away for the less mobile or bone idle! It is a bit lonely coming back to the hotel via The Wigan Pier set of bars at night but the other way, past the Columbus is well lit and fine. The reception staff especially went out of their way to help, most of ...
the staff in the restaurant were friendly enough although they did tend to concentrate on Spanish guests - perhaps they found it easier to converse, but some of us English have made the effort to learn the odd word you know! Couldnt say about the night time entertainment but Oscar was brilliant during the day with ping pong, bowls, shooting, hoopla etc etc, inviting everyone to jioin in without pressurising and laughing mercilessly at the hopeless amongst us!
What makes the Oro Negro ideal for us is that it\'s close enough to everything but far away to be peaceful at night, in fact there was NO noise whatsoever at night - I like to party but dont want that to continue back at the hotel. Am making at least two more 2009 bookings and can see we will be returning many times in the future. Would recommend without hesitation.
Booking again and would recommend without hesitation

Tour Operator: independently

sue stayed at Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel in February 2009
Had to use extra holidays up so Son and I got a late deal to the Oro Negro. Had read good reports and weren\'t disappointed. Panoramic views as our rooms were on the 11th floor. Comfortable, clean and spacious rooms, comfy beds, good maid service. Good public areas. Lively during the day with activities round the pool and gardens, - the rep Oscar deserves an Oscar for his enthusiasm and range of games. Quiet at night - no drunken palaver from rowdy groups. Food excellent, always lots of choice, plus a carvery and freshly made pasta every night. Good bar food in the day. Helpful reception staff and friendly and flexible courtesy room arrangements on your last day. Plenty sunbeds - perhaps the garden and pool area could do with a little prettying up, it\'s a bit functional ...
looking, but that, if it can be called a criticism, was the only thing I could find even a bit wrong with the hotel. Try the external lift...! Brill views of Teide and Siam Park! Couldn\'t comment on hotel entertainment as we went out but whatever had been going on seemed to be over around midnight. Think you could say it\'s a pretty civlised place, good to relax and chill out in. We like to party but dont want to bring the party back to the hotel and this is exactly the right place for that with clubs/pubs nearby. Going back with my husband and wouldn\'g hesitate to recommend to anyone wanting a quiet week or two to recharge their batteries without paying the silly prices some so called \"luxury\" hotels in the resort charge.

Tour Operator: independently

Strange Family visited the Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel, Playa de las Americas, Spain in March 2008
From the reviews I\'d read, I expected good things from this hotel and I wasn\'t disappointed. We had a family room which consisted of two separate rooms, each with twin beds and television and bathroom with shared balcony, so that was a good start. The hotel is modern and very clean. Our room was cleaned every day (and no, we never saw a single cockroach !). The pool area is excellent with table tennis/pool tables and daily entertainment to keep everyone interested. The pool is unheated and so was a tad chilly when getting in, but there were plenty of people using it.

We were half board and the food was excellent. Plenty of choice including freshly cooked to order pasta, meat and fish as well as the normal pre-cooked food. I can imagine that after more than a week, the ...
food will become a bit boring and repetitive, but I think they do the best they can given the resources they have.

There was evening entertainment every day from the very tacky and frankly embarrassing \'talent show\' put on by the hotels own staff to the excellent \'we will rock you\' show by a quartet of very talented Brits.

The location of the hotel is good. It\'s a short walk to the \'Patch\' (for us family types) or to the other places for the young crowd, and yet remote enough not to have any drunken yobs singing outside your balcony at 3 in the morning. Plenty of night life available, although strangely quiet when we went in the Easter half term.

Overall, a hearty recommendation.

Tour Operator: Thomson

Martin Cato stayed at Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel, Playa de las Americas in November 2007
Returned last night so it\'s all fresh in my mind.
It\'s the first package holiday I have been on in many years, (always opted to travel.)
How pleasant our stay at the Oro Negro Hotel has been.
Given a room away from the restaurant and bar area, was ideal and quiet for our 21 month old daughter.
All I would expect and more from a three star Hotel.
I would say that a restaurants food is as good as its head chef!
They need to keep hold of this chef and staff! Massive choice, beautifully presented and always tasted delicious.
I would of been quite happy to sacrifice some dinners in search of nice restaurants. The hotel food was so good that I couldn\'t go else where!
All the staff were charming and the pool area relaxing.
I would certainly return.

Tour Operator: sol plan

josie ryan visited the Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel, Playa de las Americas, Spain in August 2007
we arrived at the hotel at 2 in the morning and were a little apprehensive after reading previous reviews.we were greeted by a very friendly gentleman and when we got into the room which was on the 10 floor(there is actualy 12 floors the top being a penthouse)and had a fantastic veiw over the whole of las americas. the sunset was fantastic..the food was always hot and plenty of it and the restraunt staff were always polite .simone who was the hostess in the restraunt was exellent always smiling and once she had met you she rememberedyou at every mealtime .the pool wasnt family friendly as the shallow end was about 4ft although there was a small pool around the corner like a paddling pool.and because the weather was 36 39 degrees the pool was quite warm .the entertainment team ...
susanna recardo and oscor worked and did a good job through the day as well as the shows at night .we found it was more spanish and italian than english but every one was very friendly .we made the mistake of not hiring a fridge 30 euros a week it would have saved us a fortuneas a small bottle of water was 1 euro out of the machine and 1.35 at the bar and a large bottle from the supermarket was 60cents .i would go there again.my 12year old daughter and 9 year old grandaughter had a great time and as did my husband and i

Tour Operator: aspro

carly and billy stayed at Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel, Playa de las Americas, Spain in July 2007
stayed here on three occasions and planining to go again . food is good ,people are helpful and hotel is very clean . the pool is good with sun beds for all ...
but forget the entertainment no good at all

Tour Operator: thompson

ken/sue/Colin/Lesley stayed at Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel, Playa de las Americas in April 2007
The hotel was very good we were a little worried about what to expect with it being a three star but were pleasantly surprised.

The food was good the staff very pleasant and helpful far the rooms were very spacious and cleaned every day.

All I will add is that it was a lot better than some of the 4 stars I have stopped in before.

The location is not that far from the front and the hill they refer to is only a steady gradient even Colin who is 66 and can not walk for a long while got around the area ok.

Michael & Anne visited the Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel in November 2006
We work in the UK 4* & 5* industry so this may be too critical!

The hotel is clean but not as clean as it should be, check the dust build up in the public areas around fire extinguishers, door ledges etc. which should be cleaned daily and have not for months!

The rooms are clean enough for most people and towels are changed daily, beds are made up but we did not have a change of sheets all week! The bathroom was looking \'tired\' but still functional.

The food was adequate and boring all week, but still edible and we didn\'t suffer any upset stomachs. The location of the hotel is further away from the beach than you may suppose from their blurb,a good 15mins walk, but not too far to spoil your holiday if you enjoy negotiating with ...
all the time share demons on the way.

The swimming pool is not heated and is cold.

The customer facing staff were all excellent and deserve a reward for their hard work and committment to their guests. The entertainment was rubbish and insulting to the guests who deserve better.

I would not stay here again as there are far better 3* hotels around, it was not an unpleasant experience but not one that would make me want to return. As my grand-daughter age 15 said when they visited us one evening in the restaurant, \"Nan - is this the canteen!\"

Tour Operator: Booked Direct

shuttleworth party had a holiday at Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel in September 2006
The hotel was very clean; the cleaners were in the rooms every day.

The food wasn't really to our liking but they had to cater for quite a few nationalities but we didn't go hungry although we ate out several times.

Hotel located at back of resort near to golf course only 5 mins walk from Veronica's area, rooms had air con (20 euros deposit for remote control) and a ceiling fan which was set on one speed. Safe in wardrobe(26 euros of which 10 was a deposit),nice bathroom & sleeping area which had large single beds and lots of storage space and a telly with a few English channels (sky news & BBC news)plus a nice balcony. Ours over looked the pool on 8th floor.

The staff were ok but didn't seem too happy. Cleaner & restaurant table staff ...
were happy.

Didn't see any of the entertainment except the daily water polo at noon which was very popular & competitive, well worth watching.

We would stay here again.

Tour Operator: aspro

Claire visited the Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel, Playa de las Americas, Spain in May 2006
Have just returned from the Ora Negro - it\'s a lovely hotel and as other reviews state it\'s also very clean.

Staff were friendly and helpful. We had a room on 5th floor overlooking pool which got the sun for most of the afternoon which was great. Something to be aware of is tht some rooms face onto busy road (police cars & ambulances frequently going past sirens blaring) so this could be a problem to some.

During our stay there were lots of elderly Spanish guests - apparently the government pays for them to have a free holiday on full board basis (you can just see our own government giving our OAP\'s free holidays can\'t you)!!!!!!! NOT!

They didn\'t cause anyone any problems so far as we could see and it was just nice to see them enjoying themselves ...
- a few of them were so old and doddery they couldn\'t work out how to use the lifts - bless \'em.

Food was lovely - no possibility of anyone going hungry here - there was a carvery but if nothing took your fancy staff were happy to make you an omelette or grill you a steak or chop while you waited.

The one and only downside to the hotel in our opinion was the beds in our room - the mattresses were so hard it was like literally trying to sleep on concrete - basically in 14 nights I got 1 nights sleep and that was as a direct result of being totally shattered and the help of 2 sunbed mattresses we\'d bought!

It is that, that would stop us returning to the hotel - if the beds were softer we would definitely return.

Tour Operator: Thomson

mandy visited the Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel, Playa de las Americas, Spain in May 2006
Hotel was cleaned on daily basis, although unsure if under beds were cleaned as large amounts of dust and hair remained stuck to case when departing.

Excellent beach and sea view from 7th floor with hardly any pool side noise.

Entertainment and bar staff were great to talk to.
Beware loads of Spanish oaps, not good if looking for romance or English holiday makers to talk to.

Fantastic breakfast if up early enough, loads of variety (fruit, fry up, cereal).

Location was 10 minutes walk from beach, shopping and all clubs and pubs.

Tour Operator: mytravel

ferry stayed at Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel in April 2006
We were pleasantly surprised as our room was huge + had fab views of golf course + the sea.

It took a good 10 mins to walk down to our favourite part = safari centre + Parque Santiago's where we spent most of our time.

The food was excellent, with a huge choice every morning + night = excellent value for money we hadn\'t planned to eat in the hotel so often but it really was nice.

It is clean and the pool is freezing.

There were mostly elderly Spanish people staying the second part of our week and they hogged all the chairs for the entertainment and not once did any of them buy a drink! The magician show looked good (the bits we managed to see ) We went out most nights + recommend the medieval night.

Unfortunately we feel the whole south of Tenerife is becoming tacky.

Tour Operator: first choice

Langley visited the Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel, Playa de las Americas in April 2006
The cleaners were out in force each morning ensuring that the pool area was clean and tidy, and our room was also cleaned each day.

The food was excellent, with a large variety to choose from, the show cooking was always my personal favourite with fresh fish, poultry and meat cooked upon request each day, as well as the French omeletes which were delicious.

The hotel is set in one of the quieter areas of Playa de las Americas, with the local bus station just down the road.

The restaurant staff were always welcoming and as soon as you had emptied you plate it was cleared away.

The entertainment staff were always getting the guests involved with various games and in the evening various caberet style shows were available, not my cup of tea but many of the guests seem to enjoy it.

I would ...
highly recommend this hotel, and will return at some point on my travels.

Tour Operator: First Choice

Langley had a holiday at Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel in April 2006
We found this hotel to be very good. Clean & friendly with a nice atmosphere. The staff were very nice especially in the restaurant,they made our stay very enjoyable. Entertainment during the day was good, but didnt go to the evening entertainment. The children had a birthday whilst we were there and the staff made a big effort to make it special, they even made a birthday cake for a few euros (very nice too!).Met and spoke to people who had been back to this hotel 5-6 times, and I can see why.
Unfortunately we went after the school holidays and most of the entertainment was aimed at the older generation, but apparently its not like this all the time.

Tour Operator: First Choice

Debbie had a holiday at Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel in March 2006
Just returned from a very enjoyable week at this hotel. The hotel is everything you would expect from a three star, actually maybe a little more!!

It is ideally situated close to many bars and restaurants. The pool area is very clean and there are plenty of sun beds.

The rooms are of a good size with nice balcony area (ours looked out onto the pool area)Maybe the bathrooms could do with an overall but no the less were clean enough. The entertainment was good. Jenny, Monica and Oscar are very friendly and go out of their way to keep you entertained throughout the day.

The food was good although it could have been a little hotter at times. I tended to opt for the food that was being freshly cooked. On the whole this hotel is fine for a cheap week in the sun.

Tour Operator: Aspro

Adrian and Dawn stayed at Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel, Playa de las Americas, Spain in March 2006
Just arrived back from our third visit to the Oro Negro. On each occasion we have visited the hotel it has left us wanting to return.

The hotel is top quality with helpful Staff,clean rooms and a spotless pool and pool area.
The food is of a very high standard even if sometimes it requires warming up.

While there we noticed that the hotel was spending money on up-dating the rooms which will only improve it more.
There is no doubt in our minds that we will be returning.

I reccommend to anyone who is going to Tenerife to give the Oro Negro a try. New Year is exceptionally good.

Tour Operator: Thompson Flight Only

mr&mrs m visited the Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel, Playa de las Americas in March 2006
Had a good time at Oro Negro, good location, near everything, but quiet. Had room with sea view on 4th floor. Got sun on balcony later in day, it was very warm, (got well burned), overall a well run hotel.

Bar prices good and snacks during day very reasonable priced, beware! Pool freezing.

Tour Operator: fly globespan

BOB & SANDRA stayed at Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel, Playa de las Americas in January 2006
Just back from a week in ORO NEGRO and we had the most enjoyable time. Hotel was what you would expect from a 3 star. Rooms cleaned every day, towels and bedding changed every other day.

When we left they were begining to instal air conditioning units in some of the rooms. Our didn\'t have it but there was a celing fan which was quite adequate. The hotel is mainly non smoking.

We stayed in room 106, bot floor, right next to the pool. Beware of the pool though, it\'s the coldest pool I have ever experienced.

Food is decent, good selection but it can be cold at times but there is a micro there though.
Entertainment was ok, there was always something on morning, afternoon and at night.

Hotel location is perfect, golf course across the road. 5 or ...
10 mins walk to Veronica\'s, depending on how much you\'ve had to drink.

Tour Operator: FIRST CHOICE